Media contacts: Daryl G. Kimball, Executive Director (202-463-8270 x107); Tom Z. Collina, Research Director (202-463-8270 x104).
As the United States Senate prepares to vote on the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START), the non-partisan Arms Control Association has produced a comprehensive, all-in-one guide to the treaty.
"The Case for the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty" (PDF) includes:
- An authoritative analysis of the national security benefits of the treaty and responses to concerns that have been raised by skeptics on missile defense, verification, tactical nuclear weapons, and modernization of the nuclear weapons complex;
- A summary of the key provisions of the treaty;
- A description of New START's impact on U.S. strategic nuclear forces;
- An overview of past and current U.S.-Russian nuclear arms agreements;
- A description of the administration's long-range plan and budget for maintaining the U.S. nuclear arsenal and modernizing the weapons complex; and
- A selection of key statements from U.S. military leaders and senior national security officials on the need for prompt ratification.