CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES at the Arms Control Association
There are currently no opportunities available. Please bookmark this page for future updates.
Nuclear Security Working Group Congressional Fellow
Location: Washington, DC
Sector: Non Profit
Experience: Early Career / Mid-Career
Apply by: October 31, 2017
Posted: October 4
- Six Fellows will be placed in an equal number of Democratic and Republican offices in the Senate and House, to support core staff and help organize bipartisan outreach events under senior staff direction.
- Fellows will work full-time from January 2018 to January 2019.
- Fellows will be paid an annual stipend ranging from $45,000 - $80,000, depending on qualifications.1
- GW will administer the Fellowship competition and select the finalists.
- Host offices will make final selections and decide office assignments.
- Fellows who accept the position must commit to a full year.
Fellows are expected to:
- Support the legislative and policy priorities of the host office, under the direction of senior staff members.
- Provide prompt, professional support for general activities, as directed.
- Collaborate with their House and Senate counterparts to organize nonpartisan briefings and events on timely national and nuclear security issues for Members and staff.
- Develop the host office’s ties to the broader professional and policy community.
Management and Oversight
- GW will administer the Fellowship competition and all financial arrangements.
- Fellows will be assigned to House/Senate offices based on experience and professional compatibility.
- NSWG will provide support, as needed, for Fellow-initiated programs and/or events and outreach activities.
- Fellowships will be awarded in accordance with all relevant House/Senate ethics rules and contractual requirements.
- Applicants should be U.S. citizens and have no conflicts of interest impeding appointment to a NSWG Fellowship.
Building On Previous Successes
The program will build on the success of NSWG’s inaugural Congressional Nuclear Security Fellowship. Selected in 2017, three Fellows currently work with Reps. Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE), Pete Visclosky (D-IN), and Chuck Fleischmann (R-TN), leaders of the Congressional Nuclear Security Working Group. The Fellows have supported their respective offices’ operations with policy, technical, and organizational expertise, emerging as respected young leaders in the national/nuclear security community.
- Fellows receive their stipends as independent contractors, and are not eligible for benefits (i.e. health insurance). Additionally, Fellows receive an annual travel allowance to facilitate attendance at professional meetings.
- Fellows may not be Federal employees or full time Federal contractors as of January 1, 2018.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of professional and academic experience, special expertise or technical skills, demonstrated interpersonal and communications skills, and references/recommendations.
- Qualified applicants will have several years of experience in a relevant professional field including:
- International Affairs/Political Science/Security Studies
- Defense Planning
- Military Operations
- An area of the physical sciences with policy relevance.
- Ideal candidates will have an advanced degree with 3-6 years of working experience in the government or policy sectors, command of national and nuclear security issues, strong communication skills, and excellent references.
- Candidates must submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and application form (collecting basic information and references) to [email protected] by 5:00 PM (EST) on October 31, 2017, using the subject line “Congressional Nuclear Security Fellowship – FULL NAME”.
- An interdisciplinary committee of GW faculty and Nuclear Security Working Group members will review applications and select a pool of finalists.
- GW staff will contact finalists by November 17, 2017, and work to schedule Hill interviews.
- Host offices will have the final say in the selection of Fellows and the offices in which Fellows are assigned.
Online Job and Educational Opportunities Postings (30 days)
Arms Control Today Media Kit
*Those listing educational or job listings in both the print edition of Arms Control Today as well as the Jobs and Educational Opportunities page of armscontrol.org are charged a flat versus monthly fee (i.e., their ad remains on the website until the position is filled versus the standard 30-day listing period).
For information on posting an employment or educational opportunity in this space and/or in the print edition of Arms Control Today, please contact Julie Abramson at 202-463-8270 x109 or email [email protected] with "ACT Advertising" in the subject line.