Arms Control Association (ACA) Annual Meeting and Luncheon
Monday, June 16, 2008, 9:30AM - 2:30PM
1779 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Washington, D.C.
The 2008 Arms Control Association annual meeting and luncheon focuses on the 40th anniversary of the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) and how the global nonproliferation regime can be strengthened to last another 40 years and beyond.
9:30 a.m. Panel Discussion: Addressing the Challenges Facing the NPT
- Andrew K. Semmel, Private Consultant at AKS Consulting and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Nuclear Nonproliferation.
- Sharon Squassoni, Senior Associate in the Nonproliferation Program of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
- Prepared Remarks of Ambassador Norman A. Wulf, former President’s Special Representative for Nuclear Nonproliferation and head of U.S. delegation to the 2000 NPT Review Conference.
11:30 a.m. Luncheon Address: Making the 2010 NPT Review Conference a Success
- Prepared Remarks of Ambassador Sérgio de Quieroz Duarte, United Nations High Representative for Disarmament Affairs and President of the 2005 NPT Review Conference.
1:00 p.m. Panel Discussion: How the Next President Can Strengthen the Nonproliferation System
- Stephen E. Biegun, Representative for campaign of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (Ariz.); Corporate Officer and Vice President of International Governmental Affairs for Ford Motor Company and former National Security Advisor to former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist.
- John D. Holum, Representative for campaign of presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama (Ill.); former Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security and former Director of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency.