February 15 - March 15, 1997
Compiled by Sami Fournier
OF SPECIAL INTEREST
- An American Legacy: Building a Nuclear Weapon Free World, Washington, DC: Henry L. Stimson Center, 1997, 16pp. Ph. (202) 223 5956.
- Hartung, William D. and Jennifer Washburn. U.S. Arms Transfers to Indonesia 1975 1997: Who's Influencing Whom? New York: World Policy Institute, Arms Trade Resource Center, March 1997, 31pp. Ph. (212) 229 5808.
- Pierre, Andrew J. and Dmitri Trenin. "Developing NATO Russian Relations," Survival, Spring 1997, pp.5 18.
- Steinbruner, John. "Russia Faces an Unsafe Reliance on Nukes," The Los Angeles Times, March 3, 1997, p.11.
I. ARMS CONTROL—GENERAL
- Arms Control Briefing Book, Washington, DC: Council for a Livable World Education Fund, March 1997, 66pp.
- Khripunov, Igor. "New Environment Demands Fresh Vision for Arms Control," Defense News, February 3 9, 1997, p.19.
- "The New Horizon for Arms Cuts," The New York Times, March 11, 1997, p.A28.
- Plesch, Daniel and Natalie Goldring. "From Dumdums to Nerve Gas," The Christian Science Monitor, March 5, 1997, p.20.
- Plesch, Daniel and Stephen Young. "A Look at U.S. Arms Control Policy," CDS Bulletin of Arms Control, March 1997, pp.2 7.
- Woolf, Amy F. "Arms Control and Disarmament Activities: A Catalog of Recent Events," CRS Report for Congress, January 24, 1997, 77pp.
- International Affairs—Function 150 Summary and Highlights Fiscal 1998 Budget Request, Washington, DC: Office of Resources, Plans and Policy, U.S. Department of State, February 1997, 40pp. Ph. (202) 647 3434.
- Verification, Compliance and Confidence Building: The Global and Regional Interface, J. Marshall Beier and Steven Mataija, Eds., North York, Ontario: York University Centre for International and Security Studies, 1996, 174pp. Ph. (416) 736 5156.
II. STRATEGIC ARMS CONTROL
- Gordon, Michael. "U.S. Proposes Deeper Cuts in Atom Arms," The New York Times, March 9, 1997, p.A9.
- Mendelsohn, Jack. "Crossing the Finnish' Line," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.2.
- Smith, Jeffrey. "U.S. Studies Deeper Nuclear Warhead Cuts," The Washington Post, January 23, 1997, p.A4.
- Starr, Barbara. "Yeltsin's Unclear Future Stalls Arms Negotiations," Jane's Defense Weekly, March 12, 1997, p.3.
- Zimmerman, Tim. "Just When you Thought You Were Safe" U.S. News and World Report, February 18, 1997, pp.38 39.
III. BALLISTIC MISSILE PROLIFERATION
- Diamond, Howard. "UNSCOM Head Says Iraq Has 'Operational' Missile Force," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.25.
- "Missile Deal in Cypriot Budget Angers Turkey," Jane's Defence Weekly, February 26, 1997, p.15.
- Wolf, Jim. "Missiles from China Pose Threat, Lake Says," The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 14, 1997, p.32.
IV. BALLISTIC MISSILE DEFENSE
- Cerniello, Craig. "Panel Upholds NIE Assessment of Ballistic Missile Threat to U.S.," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.22.
- Cerniello, Craig. "NMD Debate in Congress Heats Up As Lott, Lugar Introduce New Bills," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.21.
- Cirincione, Joseph. "Why the Right Lost the Missile Defense Debate," Foreign Policy, Spring 1997, pp.39 55.
- Donnelly, John. "Pentagon Programs $17.9 Billion for Missile Defense," Defense Week Special, February 5, 1997, p.2.
- Scott, William B. "Commanders Demand Effective Missile Defense," Aviation Week and Space Technology, March 3, 1997, pp.42 43.
- Gertz, Bill. "Service Chiefs Fear for Missile Defense," The Washington Times, March 10, 1997, p.A4.
- Mann, Paul. "ABM Treaty at 25: Relic or Rebirth?" Aviation Week and Space Technology, February 24, 1997, pp.50 53.
- Dornheim, Michael A. "THAAD Program Future Tied to Test Results," Aviation Week and Space Technology, March 3, 1997, pp.64 65.
- Dupont, Daniel G. "Pentagon Review of Latest THAAD Failure, State of Technology' Under Way," Inside Missile Defense, March 12, 1997, p.1.
- Erlich, Jeff. "Pentagon Seeks to Boost Missile Defense Fund," Defense News, February 17 23, 1997, p.18.
- Guilbeaux Jr., Lt. Col. Wilson. "Boost Phase Intercept: Implications for Theater Missile Defense," Urbana Champaign IL: ACDIS Occasional Paper, December 1996, 16pp.
- Mintz, John. "Missile Defense System Fails Fourth Test," The Washington Post, March 7, 1997, p.G1.
- "No Quid Pro Quo on TMD," Defense News, March 10 16, 1997, p.38.
V. NUCLEAR NON PROLIFERATION
- Anselmo, Joseph C. "Russian Threat Still Massive," Aviation Week and Space Technology, February 24, 1997, pp.48 49.
- Guldin, Robert. "A Farewell to Arms," GWlawschool, November 1996, pp.27 29.
- Müller, Harald, Alexander Kelle, Katja Frank, Sylvia Meier and Annette Schaper, Nuclear Disarmament: With What End in View?, Frankfurt, Germany: Peace Research Institute Frankfurt, December, 1996, p.49.
- Hoadley, Steve. The 1995 NPT Conference: An Application of Zartman's Multilateral Negotiation Theory, Canberra: Australian National University, Peace Research Centre, 1996, 25pp. Ph. (06) 249 3098.
- Multilateral Approaches to Non Proliferation, Andrew Latham, Ed., North York, Ontario: York University Centre for International and Security Studies, 1995, 152pp. Ph. (416) 736 5156.
- Ranger, Robin and David Weincek. The Devil's Brews II: Weapons of Mass Destruction and International Security, Lancashire, UK: Centre for Defense and International Security, Lancaster University, 1997, 74pp. Ph. (44) 171 256 0704.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction: Are the Nonproliferation Regimes Falling Behind? Report of the 37th Strategy for Peace, US Foreign Policy Conference, Muscatine, Iowa: The Stanley Foundation, October 1996, 16pp.
- Bajpai, Kanti. Nuclear Weapons and the Security of India: Giving Up the Bomb, Canberra: Australian National University, Peace Research Centre, 1996, 26pp. Ph. 06 249 3098.
- Diamond, Howard. "Nuclear Deal With North Korea Back on Track After Sub Incident," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.23.
- Feldman, Shai. Nuclear Weapons and Arms Control in the Middle East, Cambridge, Massachusetts: CSIA Studies in International Security, 1997, Ph. (617) 495 1400.
- Koch, Andrew. "Pakistan Persists With Nuclear Procurement," Jane's Intelligence Review, March 1997, p.131 133.
- Korea and East Asia, Seoul, Korea: Institute of Foreign Affairs and National Security, December 1996, 25 pp.
- Manning, Robert A. "PACATOM: Nuclear Cooperation in Asia," The Washington Quarterly, Spring 1997, pp.217 232.
- "Striking a Balance in Pursuit of Progress," Jane's Defence Weekly, February 12, 1997, pp.23 24.
- Yumin, Hu. "Preliminary Analysis of U.S. Counterproliferation Strategy," International Strategic Studies, China Institute for International Strategic Studies, 1996, pp.34 39. Ph.(010) 62 021 048
VI. NUCLEAR WEAPONS MATERIAL CONTROL
- Albright, David, Frans Berkhout and William Walker. Plutonium and Highly Enriched Uranium 1996 World Inventories, Capabilities and Policies, New York: Oxford University Press, SIPRI, 1997, 502pp.
- Ellis, Jason. "Nunn Lugar's Mid Life Crisis," Survival, Spring 1997, pp.84 110.
- Japan's Nuclear Future: The Plutonium Debate and East Asian Security, Selig S. Harrison, ed.Washington, DC: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 1996, 120pp.
- Weapons of Mass Destruction: DOD Reporting on Cooperative Threat Reduction Assistance Has Improved, US GAO, February 1997, 6pp. Ph. (202) 512 6000.
VII. NUCLEAR TESTING
- Gibbs, W. Wayt. "In Focus: Computer Bombs," Scientific American, March 1997, pp.14 16.
- McNally, James. "No Bluffing About Nuclear Arms," The Washington Times, March 11, 1997, p.A21.
VIII. CONVENTIONAL ARMS CONTROL AND ARMS TRANSFERS
- Blank, Stephen J. The Dynamics of Russian Weapon Sales to China, March 4, 1997, Washington, DC: U.S. Army War College, Strategic Studies Institute, 40pp. Ph. (717) 245 4133.
- Crawford, Dorn. Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE): A Review of Key Treaty Elements, Washington, DC: Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, December 1996, 53pp.
- Eikenberry, Karl W. Explaining and Influencing Chinese Arms Transfers, Washington, DC: INSS, National Defense University, February 1995, 65pp.
- Harahan, Joseph P. and John C. Kuhn. On Site Inspections Under the CFE Treaty, A History of the On Site Inspection Agency and CFE Implementation, 1990 1996. Washington, DC: On Site Inspection Agency, 1996, 369pp.
- Hartung, William D. Peddling Arms, Peddling Influence: Exposing the Arms Export Lobby, New York, NY: World Policy Institute, October 1996, 23pp. (212) 229 5808.
- Hull, Andrew and David Markov. "A Changing Market in the Arms Bazaar," Jane's Intelligence Review, March 1997, pp.140 142.
- Leklem, Erik and Sarah Walkling. "CFE Treaty Modernization," Jane's Intelligence Review, February 1997, p.3.
- Sharp, Jane M.O. "Update on the Dayton Arms Control Arrangements," CDS Bulletin of Arms Control, March 1997, pp.8 13.
- Turner, Craig. "U.S. Led Push for Land Mine Ban Is Stymied," The Los Angeles Times, March 7, 1997, p.2.
- Walkling, Sarah. "U.S. Favors CD Negotiations To Achieve Ban on Landmines," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.20.
- Walkling, Sarah. "Wassenaar Members End Plenary, First Data Exchange Falls Short," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.24.
- "Wassenaar's Weakness," Defense News, January 20 27, p.18.
IX. CHEMICAL AND BIOLOGICAL ARMS CONTROL
- Cooper, Mary H. "Chemical and Biological Weapons," CQ Researcher, January 31, 1997, pp.75 90.
- Deans, Bob. "U.S. Disarms Without Pact," The Washington Times, March 10, 1997, p.A14.
- "Here Come the Spies," The Wall Street Journal, March 7, 1997, p.1.
- "Iraq Produced Nerve Agent; U.N. Doubts it was Destroyed," The Baltimore Sun, March 4, 1997, p.1.
- Leklem, Erik. "Administration, Senate Republicans Draw Battle Lines Over CWC," Arms Control Today, January/February 1997, p.19.
- Towell, Pat. "Clinton Pressures GOP to Act on Chemical Arms Ban," Congressional Quarterly, March 1, 1997, pp.545 550.
- The Utility of Sampling and Analysis for Compliance Monitoring of the Biological Weapons Convention, Jonathan B. Tucker, Ed. Livermore, CA: Center for Global Security Research, February 1997, 68pp. Ph. (510) 422 6141.
X. REGIONAL SECURITY ALLIANCES AND ISSUES
FORMER SOVIET UNION
- Drozdiak, William. "Russia, NATO Near Agreement on Structure of New Partnership," The Washington Post, March 12, 1997, p.A23. "NATO Goes A wooing," The Economist, January 25 31, 1997. pp.15 16.
- Rubinstein, Alvin. "America's Stake in Russia Today," Orbis, Winter 1997, pp.31 38.
- Sneider, Daniel. "Of Supercomputers and National Security," The Christian Science Monitor, March 4, 1997, p.3.
- Tigner, Brooks. "Critics Blast Brigade Idea," Defense News, February 24 March 2, 1997, p.1.
- Abshire, David M. "A Debate for 16 Parliaments," The Washington Post, February 19, 1997, p.A21.
- Aristotelous, Aristos. Greece, Turkey and Cyprus: The Military Balance, 1995 1996. Cyprus: Cyprus Center for Strategic Studies, 1995, 168pp. Ph. (202) 232 8993.
- Drozdiak, William. "NATO Expansion on the Cheap' May Have Surcharge," The Washington Post, March 12, 1997, p.A1.
- Fitchett, Joseph. "NATO Expansion Wins Ukrainian Endorsement," International Herald Tribune, February 26, 1997, p.5.
- Grant, Robert P. "Transatlantic Armament Relations Under Strain," Survival, Spring 1997, pp.111 137.
- Le Gloannec, Anne Marie. "Europe by Other Means?," International Affairs, January 1997, pp.83 98.
- Nunn, Senator Sam. "The Course for NATO," Washington, DC: The Atlantic Council, January 13, 1997, 5pp.
- "Public Indifferent About NATO Expansion," Washington, DC: Pew Research Center News Release, January 24, 1997, 13pp. Ph. (202) 293 3126.
- Rogers, Mark. "Test of Strength as NATO Looks to Grow," Jane's Defence Weekly, February 26, 1997, p.25 27.
- Shulte, Gregory L. "Former Yugoslavia and the New NATO," Survival, Spring 1997, pp.19 42.
- Starr, Barbara. "U.S. Worry over Russia and Expansion Costs," Jane's Defence Weekly, February 25, 1997, p.28 31.
- Talbott, Strobe. "Russia Has Nothing to Fear," The New York Times, February 18, 1997, p.A25.
- Tigner, Brooks. "Crisis in Albania Challenges PfP Viability," Defense News, March 10 16, p.3.
- Whitney, Craig R. "NATO, in Concession to Russia, Won't Base New Forces in East," The New York Times, March 15, 1997, p.7.
- "Why Bigger is Better," The Economist, February 15, 1997, p.21.
- Building for Security and Peace in the Middle East, Washington, DC: Washington Institute for Near East Policy, 1997, 88pp. Ph. (202) 452 0650.
- Groom, A.J.R., Edward Newman and Paul Taylor. Burdensome Victory: The United Nations and Iraq, Canberra: Australian National University, Peace Research Centre, 1996, 34pp. Ph. (06) 249 3098.
- "Iraq to ship scrap missile motors for UN analysis," Jane's Defence Weekly, March 5, 1997, p.16.
- Bedi, Rahul and Nikolai Novichkov. "India Matches Regional Build up with Kilo' Buy," Jane's Defence Weekly, February 19, 1997, p.3.
- Goodstein, Laurie. "North, South Korea Hold Positive' Talks," The Washington Post, March 6, 1997, p.A26.
- Harrison, Selig S. "Promoting a Soft Landing in Korea," Foreign Policy, Spring 1997, pp.57 75.
- Raghuvanshi, Vivek. "India to Deploy Prithvi Despite Pakistani Concerns," Defense News, March 10 16, 1997, p.34.
- Shin, Dong Ik and Gerald Segal. "Getting Serious About Asia Europe Security Cooperation," Survival, Spring 1997.
- Confidence and Security Building Measures in the Americas: A Reference Book of Hemispheric Documents, ACDA, December 1996, 372pp.
- Conca, Ken. Manufacturing Insecurity: The Rise and Fall of Brazil's Military Industrial Complex. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 1997, 283pp.
XI. DEFENSE BUDGET AND CONVERSION
- "A Quick Look at the Clinton Administration's FY 1998 Defense Budget Request," Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, February 6, 1997, 3pp. Ph. (202) 331 7990.
XII. MILITARY STRATEGY AND THEORY
- Erlich, Jeff. "Bunker Busting Bomb Prompts U.S. Discord," Defense News, February 24 March 2, 1997, p.1.
- "The Future of Warfare," The Economist, March 8, 1997, pp.21 24.
- Robb, Charles S. "Challenging the Assumptions of U.S. Military Strategy," The Washington Quarterly, Spring 1997, pp.115 131.
XIII. OTHER TOPICS
- Strategic Assessment 1997, Washington, DC: Institute for National Strategic Studies, 1997, 300pp. Ph. (202) 685 3838.
- Stremlau, John. "Sharpening International Sanctions," Washington, DC: Carnegie Commission on Preventing Deadly Conflict, November, 1996, 78pp. Ph. (202) 429 7979.
- Zawels, Estanislao Angel et. al. Managing Arms in Peace Processes: The Issues, New York and Geneva: UNIDIR Disarmament and Conflict Resolution Project, 1996, 234pp. Ph. (41 22) 917 26 12.