Security Breached at HEU Facility
Three anti-nuclear weapons protesters broke into the Highly Enriched Uranium Materials Facility at the Y-12 National Security Complex in Tennessee on July 28, hanging banners, spray-painting slogans, and splattering what they said was human blood before security guards apprehended them after more than two hours.
The group included Megan Rice, an 82-year-old nun, as well as Michael Walli, 63, and Greg Boertje-Obed, 57.
In an Aug. 3 statement published by the Knoxville News Sentinel, Energy Secretary Steven Chu called the incident “an unacceptable and deeply troubling breach.” The Energy Department, through its semiautonomous National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), oversees Y-12 and the rest of the U.S. nuclear weapons complex.
Press releases from the NNSA and B&W Y-12, the private contractor that manages the plant, announced a series of changes. The facility shut down all nuclear operations on Aug. 1, and the stored enriched uranium was moved to secure vaults. Many top managers have been replaced, including Darrel Kohlhorst, who served as president and general manager of B&W Y-12 for more than four years. The guards on duty the night of the incident were suspended, and all employees must take a refresher course on security. As a result of these security improvements, the NNSA on Aug. 15 authorized Y-12 to resume nuclear operations, according to a press release on the facility’s website.
On Aug. 10, NNSA contract officer Jill Albaugh sent a letter to B&W Y-12, outlining the NNSA’s preliminary findings of security failures. These included inoperable cameras at the time of the breach, the guards’ slow response to the alarms, and “a lack of leadership and significant tactical, procedural, training, and communication deficiencies.” The letter said B&W Y-12 had 30 days to prove why its contract should not be terminated.
The three activists pleaded not guilty to a federal indictment handed down on Aug. 9, according to The New York Times. They were charged with destruction and depredation of government property, as well as trespassing. The trial is set for Oct. 10 in federal district court in Knoxville. Walli and Rice have been arrested previously for similar acts of protest.
My Account
ACA In The News
Why Chemical Weapons Have Been A Red Line Since World War INational Public Radio
May 1, 2013
Building New Ballistic Missile Subs Could Demand Smaller Fleet, Navy Says
Global Security Newswire
May 1, 2013
Syria chemical weapons: Where did they come from?
The Christian Science Monitor
April 26, 2013
U.S. Gets "B-" for Anti-Nuclear Efforts
Global Security Newswire
April 25, 2013
US Gun Lobby Targets International Arms Treaty
Voice of America
April 25, 2013
Pentagon report on North Korea nuclear capabilities stirs worry, doubts
Reuters
April 12, 2013








