On Dec. 15 the Senate began debate on ratification of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START), which is essential for U.S. and international security. The Senate voted 66-32 to move to the executive calendar to consider New START.
It is now clear that a substantial majority agree -- despite efforts by Senator Kyl and others to block debate -- that it is time to vote on New START.
Reporters looking for print, radio or on-camera expertise over the next few days can contact the following experts directly to schedule an interview:
- Amb. Richard Burt, former START I negotiator and Chairman of Global Zero, 202-659-6210 (direct)
- Morton Halperin, former Defense, State, and NSC official in the Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Clinton administrations, and member of the Congressional Commission on the Strategic Posture of the United States, (202)-721-5601 (office); 202-285-7019 (mobile)
- Amb. Steven Pifer, Senior Fellow and Arms Control Initiative Director, The Brookings Institution, 202-741-6520 (office); 703- 593-4202
- Greg Thielmann, senior fellow, ACA, 202-463-8270 x103 (office)
- Tom Z. Collina, research director, ACA, 202-463-8270 x104 (office)
- Daryl G. Kimball, executive director, ACA, 202-463-8270 x107 (office)